Schluter BARA-RTK Color-coated Aluminum Balcony Edging Profiles
- Edging profile with a drip lip for application to a finished sloping screed
- 2.5 m (8' 2-1/2") Length
- Color-coated aluminum - 6 colors
Application and Function
Schluter-BARA-RTK is an edging and finishing profile for the exposed edges of floor assemblies on balconies and terraces that have an existing sloped screed.
The trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg of Schluter-BARA-RTK should be integrated with a bonded sheet-applied or trowel-applied waterproofing membrane.
Once the anchoring leg of Schluter-BARA-RTK becomes integrated with a suitable waterproofing membrane, the tiles can be bonded directly to the waterproofing layer by observing the manufacturers specifications.
Schluter-SCHIENE or Schluter-RONDEC can be applied to edge the tiles at the recessed transition to the drip lip. The tiles can also be laid with an overhang.
A T-shaped chamber in the vertical leg of Schluter-BARA-RTK is provided for attaching the Schluter-BARIN gutter system. Schluter-BARIN is fastened to the balcony edging profile with screws. The screw slots in the gutter are elongated, making it possible to slope the gutter up to 1-3/16" (30 mm).
Available Sizes and Materials / Item Number Table
|Profile||Outside corner 90°||Inside corner 90°||Outside corner 135°||Connector|
* to complete the item number, add the color code (e.g., E135/RTK30RB)
- Using a notched trowel, apply thin-set mortar to the area where BARA-RTK is to be placed. Press the perforated anchoring leg of the profile into the thin-set mortar and align.
- To integrate the Schluter-DITRA membrane, abut the DITRA to the edge of the anchoring leg. The remaining joint between the Schluter-DITRA and the profile is covered with Schluter-KERDI-BAND such that it overlaps the DITRA by a minimum 2" (5 cm) and covers the anchoring leg of the BARA-RTK. Use Schluter-KERDI-FIX to bond KERDI-BAND to the BARA-RAK between the trapezoid perforations and the leading edge of the profile. Use unmodified thin-set mortar to bond KERDI-BAND to DITRA and the remaining area of the BARA-RTK.
- The tiles may now be installed using the thin-bed method. Schluter-SCHIENE or Schluter-RONDEC can be applied to edge the tiles at the recessed transition to the drip lip. If the SCHIENE or RONDEC will not be used, the edge of the covering assembly should be approximately flush with the drip lip of Schluter-BARA-RTK.
- When using a bituminous, flat sheet-applied, or trowel applied waterproofing membrane, the trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg of Schluter-BARA-RTK is bonded to the sloped screed at the exposed edge area with a suitable thin-set mortar. To prevent a slope reduction at the edge area, apply a gradient transition layer of thin-set mortar between the screed and the profile. The waterproofing membrane is carried over the cut-back channels in the bonding flange and bonded with a suitable adhesive. When installing the waterproofing membrane, the instructions of the manufacturer must be observed.
- Covering assemblies installed over a waterproofing layer may consist of a drainage membrane with a load-distribution layer (e.g. mortar bed) on top, a gravel layer, or large-format pavers supported by pedestals or stilts.
- Please note: Prefabricated corners and connectors are available for inside corners, outside corners, and butt joints. Abut the ends of Schluter-BARA-RTK, leaving an approx. 3/16" (5 mm) joint. Cover the joint with the clip-on connector.
- Once covering is completely installed, the Schluter-BARIN gutter system can be fastened to the Schluter-BARA-RTK profile using the included screws. The slotted holes allow for establishing the proper slope, if required.
Schluter-BARA-RTK is made of pretreated (chromated), powder-coated aluminum.
The coating on the aluminum profile is color-stable, as well as weather- and UV-resistant. Visible surfaces should be protected against abrasion. In special cases, the suitability of Schluter-BARA-RTK must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical, and/or other stresses.
Schluter-BARA-RTK requires no special maintenance. The coating on the aluminum profile is colorfast and UV-resistant. Damaged surfaces shall be painted over.