Schluter BARA-RK Color-coated Aluminum T-shaped Balcony Edging Profiles
- Perfectly integrates with other Schluter solutions
- 2.5 m (8' 2-1/2") Length; 65 mm (2-5/8") profile height
- Available in color-coated aluminum (6 colors)
Application and Function
Schluter-BARA-RK is a T-shaped edging profile for balconies and terraces. The profile provides a neat edge appearance while concealing and protecting the exposed edges of the mortar bed against weathering and corrosion. The sloped projecting drip edge covers the exposed edges of the Schluter-TROBA sub-surface drainage system, which is installed below the mortar bed.
During the application of the mortar bed, the trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg of Schluter-BARA-RK is solidly embedded in the mortar bed while the upper edge of the profile is used to screed the mortar bed to the appropriate height. Install Schluter-TROBA or Schluter-TROBA-PLUS for sub-surface drainage between the waterproofing layer and the mortar bed in order to prevent penetrating water from collecting in the mortar bed. If Schluter-DITRA is to be installed, the screed is leveled 1/8" (3 mm) below the top of the profile. Schluter-DITRA uncouples the tile covering from the screed and neutralizes stresses caused by differential movement, primarily due to temperature fluctuations, between the screed and the tile. In addition, Schluter-DITRA, in conjunction with the tile covering, creates a bonded waterproof layer.
Available Sizes and Materials / Item Number Table
|Profile||Outside corner 90°||Inside corner 90°||Outside corner 135°||Connector|
* to complete the item number, add the color code (e.g., RK 65 SB)
- At the edge area, Schluter-BARA-RK is positioned into a layer of mortar. Prefabricated corner pieces are available for inside and outside corners. Abut the ends of the profile, leaving an approximate 3/16" (5 mm) joint. Cover the joint with the clip-on connector.
- Balcony and terrace surfaces shall be filled with mortar to the height at which the mortar beds reinforcement wire is placed. The reinforcing mesh (2" x 2" (50 mm x 50 mm); 16/16 wire) must overlap the anchoring leg of the profile.
- To establish the correct plane for the setting bed, the mortar is applied at the appropriate height and slope using the upper edge of Schluter-BARA-RK as a screeding guide. If Schluter-DITRA is to be installed as an uncoupling and bonded waterproof membrane, the screed is leveled 1/8" (3 mm) below the top of the profile and carefully compacted.
- Schluter-TROBA or Schluter-TROBA-PLUS must be incorporated as a drainage layer between the waterproofing layer and the mortar bed. Schluter-BARA-RK effectively conceals the gap between the waterproofing and the mortar bed created by the installation of the drainage layer.
- Tiles shall be laid in such a way that they extend approximately 3/4" (20 mm) beyond the edge of the profile. When using a trim profile at the edge area, the trim profile must extend beyond the Schluter-BARA-RK by approximately 5/16" (8 mm).
Schluter-BARA-RK is made of pre-treated (chromated), powder-coated aluminum.
The coating on the aluminum profile is color-stable, as well as UV- and weather-resistant. The surface must be protected against abrasion.
In addition, any penetrating water must be prevented from collecting in the mortar bed where the Schluter-BARA-RK has been anchored, as aluminum is sensitive to alkaline substances. To ensure this, install the Schluter-TROBA or Schluter-TROBA-PLUS sub-surface drainage system. In special cases, the suitability of Schluter-BARA-RK must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical, and/or other stresses.
Schluter-BARA-RK requires no special maintenance. The aluminum profiles powder-coated surface is color-stable.