Schluter QUADEC Finishing and Edge Protection Profiles
- Protects tile edges against damage caused by mechanical stresses and allows for decorative design and interesting contrasts
- 2.5 m (8' 2-1/2")Length; For tile 6, 8, 10 or 12.5 (1/4", 5/16", 3/8" or 1/2") thick.
- Stainless steel or anodised aluminum
Application and Function
Schluter-QUADEC is a finishing and edge-protection profile for the outside corners of tiled surfaces. It features a trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg that is secured in the mortar bond coat beneath the tile and a reveal that forms a square outer corner along the surface edge.
The profile is available in stainless steel, anodized aluminum and Tuscan color-coated aluminum. QUADEC allows for modern decorative design and interesting contrasts. The profile can be combined with the Schluter-QUADEC-FS feature strip profile and the Schluter-DESIGNLINE border profile for further design options. In addition to its decorative effect, the profile protects tile edges against damage caused by mechanical stresses.
QUADEC, in stainless steel, is particularly resistant to wear when used as edge protection. It may also be used as a stair nosing or floor transition profile.
In addition, QUADEC is suitable for transitions, corners, or dado coverings with other covering materials; for example, carpet, parquet, natural stone tiles, or poured epoxy coverings. The integrated joint spacer forms a defined joint cavity with the tile.
Note: QUADEC in stainless steel does not feature the integrated joint spacer. Matching inside/outside corners and connectors are available.
Available Sizes and Materials
|Schluter-QUADEC finishing and edge protection profiles|
|Material / Finish||H - Tile thickness||Item Number|
|Profile||Inside / Outside Corner / End Cap||Connector|
|Stainless steel 304 (E)||6 mm -1/4"||Q60E||EV/Q60E||-|
|8 mm - 5/16"||Q80E||EV/Q80E||V/RO80E|
|10 mm - 3/8"||Q100E||EV/Q100E||V/RO100E|
|12.5 mm - 1/2"||Q125E||EV/Q125E||V/RO125E|
|Brushed stainless steel 304 (EB)||6 mm -1/4"||Q60EB||EV/Q60EB||-|
|8 mm - 5/16"||Q80EB||EV/Q80EB||V/RO80E|
|10 mm - 3/8"||Q100EB||EV/Q100EB||V/RO100E|
|12.5 mm - 1/2"||Q125EB||EV/Q125EB||V/RO125E|
|Satin anodised aluminum (AE)||6 mm -1/4"||Q60AE||EV/Q60AE||-|
|8 mm - 5/16"||Q80AE||EV/Q80AE||V/RO80|
|10 mm - 3/8"||Q100AE||EV/Q100AE||V/RO100|
|12.5 mm - 1/2"||Q125AE||EV/Q125AE||V/RO125|
|Polished chrome anodised aluminum (ACG)||6 mm -1/4"||Q60ACG||EV/Q60ACG||-|
|8 mm - 5/16"||Q80ACG||EV/Q80ACG||V/RO80|
|10 mm - 3/8"||Q100ACG||EV/Q100ACG||V/RO100|
|12.5 mm - 1/2"||Q125ACG||EV/Q125ACG||V/RO125|
|Satin nickel anodised aluminum (AT)||6 mm -1/4"||Q60AT||EV/Q60AT||-|
|8 mm - 5/16"||Q80AT||EV/Q80AT||V/RO80|
|10 mm - 3/8"||Q100AT||EV/Q100AT||V/RO100|
|12.5 mm - 1/2"||Q125AT||EV/Q125AT||V/RO125|
|Brushed antique bronze anodised aluminum (ABGB)||6 mm -1/4"||Q60ABGB||EV/Q60ABGB||-|
|8 mm - 5/16"||Q80ABGB||EV/Q80ABGB||V/RO80|
|10 mm - 3/8"||Q100ABGB||EV/Q100ABGB||V/RO100|
|12.5 mm - 1/2"||Q125ABGB||EV/Q125ABGB||V/RO125|
- Select Schluter-QUADEC according to tile thickness.
- Using a notched trowel, apply thin-set mortar to the area where profile is to be placed. If Schluter-QUADEC is to be used as edging for an outside wall corner, finish tiling one wall first; then trowel thin-set mortar over the corner area of the second wall.
- Press the perforated anchoring leg of profile into the mortar and align.
- Trowel additional thin-set mortar over the perforated anchoring leg to ensure full coverage and support of the tile edges.
- Solidly embed the tiles so that the tiled surface is flush with the top of the profile; the profile should not be higher than the tiled surface, but rather up to approx. 1/32 (1 mm) lower.
- Set the tile to the integrated joint spacer, which ensures a uniform joint of 1/16" - 1/8" (1.5 - 3 mm). With the stainless steel profiles, leave a space of approximately 1/16" - 1/8" (1.5 - 3 mm).
- Fill the joints completely with grout or setting material.
- Work with materials and tools that will not scratch or damage sensitive surfaces. Setting materials and grouts must be removed immediately, especially from anodized aluminum surfaces.
Note: The same corner piece can be used to produce a 90 inside corner and a 90 outside corner.
Schluter-QUADEC is available in stainless steel and anodized aluminum. In special cases, the suitability of a proposed type of material must be verified based upon the anticipated chemical, mechanical, and/or other stresses.
Schluter-QUADEC, in stainless steel, is roll-formed using 304 (1.4301 = V2A) stainless steel. Therefore, the profiles contour differs slightly from those made of aluminum. The profile is particularly well suited for applications requiring resistance against chemical exposure and high mechanical stresses. Applications include the food industry, breweries, dairies, commercial kitchens, public swimming pools, and hospitals.
Schluter-QUADEC, in anodized aluminum, features an anodized layer that retains a uniform appearance during normal use. The surface, however, is susceptible to scratching and wear and may be damaged by grout or setting material. Cementitious materials, in conjunction with moisture, become alkaline. Since aluminum is sensitive to alkaline substances, exposure to the alkali (depending on the concentration and duration of exposure) may result in corrosion (aluminum hydroxide formation). Therefore, it is important to remove mortar or grout residue immediately from visible surfaces. In addition, ensure that the profile is solidly embedded in the setting material and that all cavities are filled to prevent the collection of alkaline water.
Schluter-QUADEC requires no special maintenance or care and is resistant to mold and fungi. Clean the profile using common household cleaning agents.
Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion. All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid. Stainless steel surfaces develop a sheen when treated with a chrome polishing agent.
In the case of anodized aluminum do not use abrasive cleaning agents.