Schluter TREP-E Stair Nosing Profiles
- Protects tiled stair edges and provides and easily visible, slip-resistant stair nosing wear surface.
- 2.5 m (8' 2-1/2") or 1.5 m (4' 11") Length
- Stainless steel; For tile 2, 5, 8, 11, 16 or 25 mm thick
Application and Function
Schluter-TREP-E is designed to protect tiled stair edges and provide an easily visible, slip-resistant wear surface for durable, safe, and visually appealing stair-nosing design. The profile is made of attractive and durable stainless steel, making it particularly suited for areas subjected to heavy foot traffic, such as offices or public buildings.
TREP-E can be integrated into stairs covered with tile or natural stone, as well as into a screed or a surface coating that is a minimum 3/32" (2 mm) thick via the trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg. When integrated into screed layers, the anchoring leg of the profile must be covered with at least 9/16" (15 mm) of mortar.
The Schluter-TREP-E wear surface meets or exceeds the coefficient of friction recommendation in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), for use in applications where the risk of slipping exists (Tile Council of North America (TCA), test method ASTM C 1028, .66 wet or dry).
Available Sizes and Materials
|TREP-E Stair-Nosing Profile|
|L = Profile Length||Tile Thickness|
|2 mm - 3/32"||5 mm - 3/16"||8 mm - 5/16"||11 mm - 7/16"||16 mm - 5/8"||25 mm - 1"|
|2.5 m - 8' 2-1/2"||TE20||TE50||TE80||TE110||TE160||TE250|
|1.50 m - 4' 11"||TE20/150||TE50/150||TE80/150||TE110/150||TE160/150||TE250/150|
- Select Schluter-TREP-E according to tile thickness.
- Install riser tile flush with the stair tread surface.
- Using a notched trowel, apply thin-set mortar along the edge area above the riser.
- Fill the cavity on the underside of the profile with thin-set mortar.
- Press Schluter-TREP-E completely into the mortar and align, making sure that the front edge of the profile overlaps the riser tile.
- Trowel additional thin-set mortar over the anchoring leg and the stair tread surface to ensure full coverage and support of the tile edges.
- Solidly embed the tread tiles so that the tiled surface is flush with the top of the profile. Note: the profile should not be higher than the tile, but rather flush or up to approx. 1/32" (1 mm) lower.
- A joint of approximately 1/16" - 1/8" (1.5 - 3 mm) should be left between the tile and the profile.
- Fill the joint completely with grout or setting material.
- When Schluter-TREP-E is integrated into screed layers, the profile must be completely embedded in the mortar. The trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg must be covered with at least 9/16" (15 mm) of mortar.
- When using surface coatings, the coating must be a minimum 3/32" (2 mm) thick. Schluter-TREP-E is adhered to the edge of the stair tread and adjusted in such a way that the front edge of the profile is flush with the riser. The trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg is covered completely with the surface coating, so that the finished surface is flush with the profile.
Schluter-TREP-E is available in stainless steel.
In special cases, the suitability of a proposed type of material must be verified based on the anticipated chemical, mechanical, and/or other stresses.
Schluter-TREP-E is roll-formed using 304 (1.4301 = V2A) stainless steel. The profiles can sustain high mechanical stresses and are especially well suited for applications requiring resistance against chemicals and acids; for example, in the food industry, breweries, dairies, commercial kitchens, public swimming pools, and hospitals.
Schluter-TREP-E requires no special maintenance and are resistant to mold and fungi. Clean profiles using common household cleaning agents.
Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion. All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid. Stainless steel surfaces develop a sheen when treated with a chrome-polishing agent.